71865 Posts

Max Online: 591 @ Yesterday at 12:19 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73740 - 03/19/17 03:44 PM Light grey grease leaking from right side of M300
RafterRat Online   content
WheelchairJunkie

Loc: Wilmington,North Carolina,USA
A few weeks ago I noticed I was leaking a light grey grease on my early M300.I thought it was the transfer case between the motor and and the drive wheels. It ended up being right rear shock.The teck. replaced it and the other rear shock.The other shock when he was replacing it found that the bracket holding it to the chassy had broken loose. So he ended up putting in a new chassy , batteries , drive wheels and casters. Still it was 6 years old so I applied for a new chair.Looks like I'll be getting a new Permobil F3 as my primary chair.The M300 as my backup.

#73751 - 03/21/17 06:42 PM Re: Light grey grease leaking from right side of M300 [Re: RafterRat]
Tim Hall Offline
WheelchairJunkie

Loc: CA
RafterRat,

If you don't mind me asking, why are you going front wheel drive rather than mid wheel drive? If it is for the taller seat lift, the new M3 has the new lift used on the F3, as well as some other improvements over the older M300.

#73756 - 03/21/17 09:42 PM Re: Light grey grease leaking from right side of M300 [Re: RafterRat]
RafterRat Online   content
WheelchairJunkie

Loc: Wilmington,North Carolina,USA
Tim,

I was really excited about getting the M300 when it came out.
I live in a FROG,Furnished Rooms Over Garage.I live with my father and step-mother.The first thing I noticed I could not move around on the area rugs my parents had in the home.We ended up rolling really nice rugs up and put in garage.I am outdoors a whole lot in the yard. The M300 has six wheels contacting the ground and picking up dirt mud and grass,bringing it into the house.In the yard I was digging a lot of little trenches with the drive wheels waiting for the wheels lineup to move forward or back.
My previous chair was a Jazzy 1122. It had no problems with the rugs and the wheels did not collect as much dirt and mud to have clean off before coming into the house.

When I got the M300 I was unable to walk anymore so had to put the 1122 upstairs for me to get around.
I believe it will easier for me handle ,It'll be like my 1122 on steroids.
Getting the F3 will give me a chair that will allow my parents to put their area rugs out again.

Edited by RafterRat (03/21/17 09:45 PM)

#73759 - 03/22/17 02:06 AM Re: Light grey grease leaking from right side of M300 [Re: RafterRat]
Tim Hall Offline
WheelchairJunkie

RafterRat,

I totally understand. We are so fortunate to have the variety of wheelchair models we do now. We bought an old house with wall to wall carpets, but we are going back to hardwood floors because of allergies, and my Hoyer lift doesn't roll on the carpet very easily.

I had never heard the term FROG before.

#73760 - 03/22/17 07:26 AM Re: Light grey grease leaking from right side of M300 [Re: RafterRat]
Patricia Offline
WheelchairJunkie Superstar

Loc: Central Ohio
I'm afraid to change out our carpet for any kind of hard woods because I seem to get tiny stones stuck in the tread of my tires. I have came in and damaged our kitchen floor in a few places.

Edited by Patricia (03/22/17 07:28 AM)

#73774 - 03/24/17 03:21 PM Re: Light grey grease leaking from right side of M300 [Re: RafterRat]
Tim Hall Offline
WheelchairJunkie

Patricia,

That is a great point.

There are almost always plusses and minuses in every design and decision, and forums like this allow for many people to point out possible pitfalls.

There are several things one should consider when deciding what type of floor to have. My primary reason for pulling up the carpets has to do with allergies. The previous owner had cats. My son starts sneezing and his eyes water when he is upstairs for more than 20 minutes. I mentioned "upstairs" because he used to have the allergy problems everywhere in the house, but when we removed the carpet in my man-cave, we discovered that my son has no allergic reactions there.

Yes, little rocks can get caught in tire tread, but I don't think that will be an issue in MY case for the following reasons:

In order to get into my house, I have to go a fair distance over clean smooth concrete, and in the rare occasion when I do pick up a pebble, I can almost always hear it clicking against the concrete.

I frequently inspect my chair for mechanical soundness, cleanliness, tire pressure, and tire tread condition. I have only found a pebble in the tread a couple times in several years.

I use tires with a tread pattern that does not seem to be prone to picking up pebbles. Its tread is not as deep as an off-road tread, and the tread grooves are narrower near the tire and wider at the surface, so the pebbles fall out easier.

Who's Online
5 registered (DizzyDon, MikeP, sheureka, scooterdood, RafterRat), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Mark's Tweets

Copyright WheelchairJunkie.com 2016
Due to the dynamic nature of a community forum, we do not have the ability to review or filter every post or posted information in real time. As a result, we cannot verify any information posted by community members, nor do we endorse or advise using any information obtained from this community. Always consult and use your local, in-person mobility professional for any mobility needs.